Transfer Information


The highest degree offered by MCC is the associate degree. However, any degree completed at MCC can serve as the starting point for a bachelor’s degree, although transfer credits may differ based on program, type of classes and transfer school and major.


For students pursuing occupational degrees, the curriculum is divided between general education requirements, which offer some degree of flexibility, and the program requirements, listing the classes required to obtain that specific associate degree. While these programs are designed to prepare students primarily to enter the workforce, several articulation agreements allow students to pursue higher degrees, either in a traditional 2+2 or in a 3+1 format. Students will thus pursue two or three years at MCC before the transfer.

Request an MCC TranscriptFill out a transcript request to obtain an electronic copy of your MCC transcript to be shared with other institutions.

Transfer Course ExpirationMCC will take course in transfer from U.S. colleges and universities* accredited by the Higher Learning Commission or one of the other regional accrediting bodies. Students must achieve a grade of C or better in transfer courses. The transfer course must have an equivalent course at MCC. Courses without equivalents may transfer in as elective credit. Zero-series courses (those with a course code below 100) do not transfer toward degree credit requirements.

Reverse transfers

Reverse transfer allows former students, who have continued their education at other accredited institutions, to transfer classes back to Montcalm Community College to apply toward a degree, certificate or job training credential. You must arrange for an official transcript to be sent to MCC from the other institution you attended with an indication that it is a reverse transfer. Your file will be audited for degree completion, and if requirements for a degree are met with the transferred classes, a degree will be awarded. Contact MCC’s Student Services Department for more information at or (989) 328-1277.

Options for Transfer:


Michigan Transfer Agreement

The Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) allows students to complete general education requirements at one college or university, then transfer those courses to meet general education requirements at another college or university, without any special exceptions.


To fulfill the Michigan Transfer Agreement, students must successfully complete at least 30 credits, with at least a 2.0 in each course and at least one credit completed at the institution awarding the MTA. These credits should be met according to the following distribution:


  • One course in English Composition
  • A second course in English Composition or one course in Communications
  • One course in Mathematics from one of three pathways: Pathway to Calculus (includes College Algebra), Statistics or Quantitative Reasoning
  • Two courses in Social Sciences (from two disciplines)
  • Two courses in Humanities and Fine Arts (from two disciplines, excluding studio and performance classes)
  • Two courses in Natural Sciences including one with laboratory experience (from two disciplines)

Please see the Liberal Studies Certificate for specific course options. Upon fulfilling the MTA requirements, students must submit the MTA Application (PDF).

MITRansfer PathwaysMontcalm Community College participates in the MiTransfer Pathways project plan which selected programs with high enrollment and/or high labor market demand to build multi-institutional transfer pathways so students can enroll at any participating community college, complete an associate degree, transfer, and complete a bachelor’s degree in the identified program of study.

transfer articulation agreementsArticulation agreements provide options for seamless transfer into a variety of advanced-degree programs at other institutions. View the transfer articulation agreements MCC has with two- and four-year institutions, both in-state and out-of-state, sorted by course of study interests.

transferring institutions & guidesView the extensive list of other institutions that have formed transfer articulation agreements with MCC. Information includes webpage links, contact details, transfer guides and equivalency information for Michigan and partner schools.



  • Michigan Transfer Network: A statewide website where you can find out more information about transfer such as: Plan your transfer, transfer your courses and search equivalencies between schools, and learn all things transfer.
Tore Skogseth, Student Success Counselor
Brandy Bunting, Counselor
Lisa Gardner, Advisor